By Leong Sze Lee,Poh Seng Chen
Chen Poh Seng's nice grandfather lived in Pulau Tekong, his 50-over cousins have been born and informed there. He lived in Changi aspect that is half-hour away by means of ferry.
Lee Leong Sze is a Malaysian, graduated from the dept of heritage, nationwide Chong Hsing collage, Taiwan, got PhD in Singapore. researchers met in August 2005. They shared a similar curiosity in learning the historical past of Pulau Tekong. throughout the examine, that they had complete aid and encouragement from former residents.
The e-book describes how Pulau Tekong Island built throughout the early twentieth century. It describes the place the ethnic teams got here from, how they settled down, labored and lived jointly, and the connection between diversified ethnic teams, just like the Malay and chinese language (including Hakka and Chouchouese) through the years. eventually, the e-book unearths out how and why the villages vanished. the ultimate bankruptcy outlines the phenomenal electorate from Pulau Tekong and experiences how they merged with the most movement of Singapore society after leaving the offshore island.
- From Desolation to Prosperity:
- Development of Villages
- Life in Villages
- Composition and courting of Ethnic Groups:
- Ethnic constitution on Tekong Island
- Relationship among chinese language and Malays
- Ethnic dating inside of Chinese
- The impression of worldwide warfare II:
- Influence of worldwide warfare II on Tekong Island
- Tekong Island below British govt and Self-Governance
- The Sixties: A interval of Change
- The improvement of Tekong Island:
- Tekong Island below Singapore's Development
- The Disappearance of Villages on Tekong Island
- The Achievements of Former citizens of Tekong Island
Readership: scholar, specialist, common public.
Read Online or Download A Retrospect on the Dust-Laden History:The Past and Present of Tekong Island in Singapore PDF
Best asian history books
Sikh Nationalism and identification in an international Age examines the development of a Sikh nationwide identification in post-colonial India and the diaspora and explores the explanations for the failure of the move for an self sufficient Sikh nation: Khalistan. in response to a decade of study, it truly is argued that the failure of the flow to lead to a sovereign, Sikh country shouldn't be interpreted as caused by the weak point of the ‘communal’ ties which bind participants of the Sikh ‘nation’ jointly, yet issues to the transformation of nationwide id lower than stipulations of globalization.
Xinjiang is the ‘pivot of Asia’, the place the frontiers of China, Tibet, India, Afghanistan, Pakistan and relevant Asia procedure one another. The growing to be Uyghur call for for a separate fatherland and carrying on with violence in Xinjiang have introduced this sector into the point of interest of nationwide and foreign realization.
The tale of Penang will be incomplete with no the massive 5 Hokkien households (the Khoo, the Cheah, the Yeoh, the Lim, and the Tan). It used to be the large 5 who performed a preponderant position not just in reworking Penang right into a neighborhood entrepot and a enterprise and monetary base, but additionally in reconfiguring maritime buying and selling styles and the company orientation of the sector within the 19th century.
Intertidal heritage in Island Southeast Asia exhibits the important half maritime Southeast Asians performed in struggles opposed to domination of the seventeenth-century spice alternate by way of neighborhood and ecu opponents. having a look past the narrative of competing mercantile empires, it attracts on ecu and Southeast Asian assets to demonstrate Sama sea people's alliances and intermarriage with the sultanate of Makassar and the Bugis realm of Boné.
- A History of Thailand
- Rule by Numbers: Governmentality in Colonial India
- Animation in China: History, Aesthetics, Media (Routledge Contemporary China Series)
- Role of Indian Air Force in 1971 War
- India in Perspective - Orientation Guide and Gujarati, Hindi, Kashmiri, Punjabi, Telegu Cultural Orientation: Geography, History, Economy, Security, Sikh, Gandhi, Nehru, Ganges, Delhi, Mumbai, Indus
- Westmächte im Transkaukasus (1918-1920) (German Edition)
Extra resources for A Retrospect on the Dust-Laden History:The Past and Present of Tekong Island in Singapore